By Joan Donnay, Chef and Co-owner of Essence on Main and Pam Aughe, R.D., Food Editor edibleWOW
Galettes are a wonderfully adaptable and an impressive item to make. Use what fruit is in season or make it savory with onions, squash, herbs and cheese.
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup vegetable shortening, chilled
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
6 tablespoons ice water
2 tablespoons lemon honey crème
2 tablespoons traditional honey
3 cups peeled and sliced ripe peaches
1 cup blueberries
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon turbinado sugar
- Place flour, salt and sugar in a food processor; pulse a few times to combine. Add shortening and pulse until resembles cornmeal. Add butter; pulse in short bursts until pea size pieces.
- Place flour mixture in a large bowl and sprinkle with ice water. Fold together with spatula into a disc. Place in refrigerator for one hour or up to 2 days. Keep cold until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400oF.
- Roll out dough into a 15-inch circle and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place lemon honey and traditional honey in a small microwave safe bowl. Heat in microwave for 15 seconds to loosen. Combine peach slices, berries and warm honey in a large bowl. Place fruit mixture in the middle of the dough leaving a 2-inch boarder. Carefully fold dough edge over fruit leaving fruit exposed in the middle. Brush edges of dough with beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated oven 22 to 25 minutes or until fruit is bubbly and crust is lightly golden brown. Sprinkle edges of crust with turbinado sugar. Cool 10 minutes before slicing.
Yield : 8 servings